Thursday 5 May 2016

Heather Parnell


Who am I?
I'm a visual artist. I was born and grew up in Manchester and initially came to live in Wales in 1984. I've engaged in lots of residencies in schools, universities and hospitals, some of which have provided opportunities to explore common ground and potential between my studio practice, inter-disciplinary engagement and cultural exchange. My studio practice isn't fixed within one discipline however, I have a huge love of drawing in the broadest sense and for a range of purposes. I really enjoy being creative with others and In 1990,  began working within the context of Arts and Health, focusing on the significance of the environment and creative engagement to health and wellbeing. I've developed a practice in this area in partnership with artist David Mackie, engaging local communities in co-creative activity as part of regeneration programmes in the public realm. I also teach art and am course leader for MA Arts Practice at the University of South Wales where I enjoy encouraging students to be expansive in their practice and to challenge assumptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment